Prepare Garage Doors for Low Temperatures11/03/2013 Back To Blog
Every season comes with certain problems and has different effects on various objects, especially those exposed to the fluctuations of the external conditions. Garage panels are unprotected to weather fluctuations but they are still expected to insulate and protect the houses properly. Manufacturers have made many improvements to all materials and most doors are highly resistant to low temperatures but eventually they will need your assistance in order to cope with difficult conditions and still provide the anticipated security.
Garage door insulation is important
* Most households spend a fortune for energy every winter but a garage door, which has not been maintained properly, can cause significant energy loss and, thus, money loss throughout the cold days. If you are ready for a new garage entry connection, you should prefer an insulated door or you should add insulation materials to the back side of your existing door.
* Don't forget the importance of replacing the base cover and weather strip before the winter comes. The hot summer days may dry them out and most probably they need to be changed in order to keep rain and air drafts out of the garage.
* Good maintenance of the garage door cords and springs plays a very important role to the good operation of the door. These parts are also responsible for shutting down the door properly without leaving any gaps, which can compromise the good indoor temperatures and your security. As an overall, the whole mechanism must be inspected and service is required before the first rainy days arrive. Don't forget that garage door tuning will ensure the good position and movement of the door.
* Check the garage for possible water leaks and holes. You need to avoid moisture and gaps that will allow the entrance of drafts.
* Don't forget to use the garage door during the winter even if you don't have to take the car out. This way, you will avoid finding it stuck on the ground due to massive volumes of snow.